Since BlackBerry® 10 Jam, we’ve received lots of great feedback on the bbUI framework. Your collaborative effort is really helping to evolve the framework, so please keep the feedback flowing! We’ve been working hard to add in all the BlackBerry 10 goodness and now have a bunch of new functionality ready to go.
Be sure to check out the full change log for this release to know what kind of adjustments you may need to make to your markup in order to run v0.9.2, and check out the closed issues for bugs that have been fixed. The v0.9.2 markup changes are fairly minor and are meant to make your life easier as we move forward.
- BlackBerry 10 Grid List
- Now supports both square 1:1 and widescreen 16:9 image formats
- Added press-and-hold context menu support
- Only shows translucent overlay if either a title or sub-title is provided
- Supports both solid and gradient headers
- Header text justification added
- Image List
- Supports both solid and gradient headers for BlackBerry 10
- Image display effects for BlackBerry 10
- Added placeholder images for items without image content on all BlackBerry operating systems
- Supports a “text only” mode on all BlackBerry operating systems
- New touch and click highlighting to match BlackBerry 10 UX specifications
- Ellipsis added to the end of long text in arrow and image lists
- HTML5 input fields now supported in Label/Control containers
- Added slider styling for BlackBerry 10 with some funky animation
- Added progress indicators for all BlackBerry operating systems
- New title bar support with buttons for BlackBerry 10
- New radio button styling for BlackBerry 10 with some slip-and-slide animation
Changes to your code
I mentioned that there were a few changes that were made that will affect your application markup, so let’s talk about those.
- The bb.init() function no longer takes a bb10AccentColor. This color is now generated as a shade of the bb10HighlightColor.
- Header text alignment has been moved off of the individual headers on an image list and moved to an attribute of the image list itself. Make sure you check out the Image List documentation for the correct markup.
- Grid lists used to have header text left justified by default — they are now center justified by default.
- Back Buttons must be explicitly created in Action Bars for BB10 styling. Action bar will no longer be created “automagically” if the screen has a title bar with a back button specified.
- The toolkit file names have changed to bbui-0.9.2.js and bbui-0.9.2.css
More to Come
We’ve now created an additional BlackBerry 10 milestone for bbUI that contains some more BlackBerry 10 UI goodness. If you’re interested in following the bbUI.js changes as they go, feel free to follow me on Twitter.
Now that we’ve covered what’s new and what’s changed, I think it’s time for some eye candy 🙂
Square 1:1 Grid List and Slider
Radio Buttons and Progress Indicators
New Image List Headers and Placeholders