I’m jazzed about the news – the first beta release of version 2.0 of the Native SDK for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet is now available. To get started, developers can download the Native SDK here. In addition to this new release, developers have access to the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 Developer Beta as a device update as well as the BlackBerry Tablet Simulator.
Here’s a quick rundown of what’s available in the 2.0 beta 1 release of the Native SDK:
- Added Sensors API (magnetometer, gyroscope, and accelerometer support) (device only for now, not available for the simulator at this time)
- Added Payment Service support for subscriptions and in-app purchasing
- IDE improvements in usability, performance, and reliability
- Scoreloop SDK 1.0 Beta 1 is included – try out some social game features for your apps, such as leaderboards
Please note that the BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 Developer Beta is available for developers and is NOT designed for consumer use. If you’ve installed this build and would like to return your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to the current version, check out our guide on the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog.
How to update your BlackBerry PlayBook OS to the Developer Beta Build
The information needed for native developers is being hosted off the Native SDK developer microsite. If you wish to upgrade your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet to this Developer Beta release, you will need to register your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet PIN using a form hosted on the microsite.
From the link to register your device PIN, simply enter your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet PIN and your email address; review the Terms and Conditions and check the box to indicate your agreement; then click “Submit”.
Within an hour, you should see a icon in the status bar on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet. You’ll have 24 hours to complete the upgrade, which can be done by following these simple steps:
- Tap in the top-right corner of the screen
- Tap “Software Updates”
- Tap “Check for Updates”
- Complete the update.
- If the update is still not available after an hour, or you experience any issues with the update, please visit the support forums.
Keep on coding – and send us your feedback!