The last few weeks have been very busy for the BlackBerry® platform teams! We’ve launched important updates to our BlackBerry® WebWorks™ SDK (v2.1) for both the BlackBerry Tablet® OS and smartphone OS, as well as the BlackBerry® Tablet OS SDK for Adobe® AIR® (in addition to working with Adobe® to include optimized support for the BlackBerry Tablet OS in Adobe® Flash® Builder 4.5!). Also, we’ve released BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™) Social Platform SDK 1.0 for BlackBerry® Java® SDK along with a beta version of the platform for BlackBerry WebWorks.
We also shared lots of significant information including new screen resolutions and simulators for upcoming BlackBerry® 7 OS devices, stats about the new OS and the BlackBerry App World™ storefront to help you choose a target OS for your app (psst – 88% of free downloads and 94% of paid downloads originate from smartphones running OS 5 and OS 6!), and an article on using BlackBerry WebWorks to build both Tablet OS and smartphone OS apps — plus we’re running a series of webinars on app development for BlackBerry 7 OS and the BBM Social Platform.
While all of this was going on, we’ve also been hearing some great stories from our developer community, and I wanted to highlight just a few. Stay tuned here for more stories as we plan to make success stories a regular feature on the blog!
- Have you heard of Jingu? This social app from Jingu Apps Inc. allows users to create avatars for BBM, access a wide assortment of new emoticons and participate in a new social environment. In a very short time, Jingu has surpassed a million downloads.
- Spice Labs Pvt Ltd. have seen more than 16 million downloads of their paid and free applications, which include Hangman and HangmanKids. Spice Labs is focused on games with an educational twist and look to engage and teach children and youth.
- WeatherEye HD is an application for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet that was built using the BlackBerry WebWorks toolset and is not only visually rich, but is also designed to take advantage of the BlackBerry WebWorks tools to create a deep app experience. In a short period of time, this app has seen more than 50,000 downloads.
- Doodle Blast on the BlackBerry PlayBook is an addictive game that has hooked family and friends. Users create “ink” pathways to get balls to fall into a container and achieve levels. They have had almost 50,000 downloads since the launch of their application.
- Crystal Balls from ingames is a simple game where players must combine three or more balls of the same color to make them explode – it’s like TETRIS® meets Gem Swap. The Crystal Ball Free version is almost at one million downloads now.
So obviously, not only have we been busy, but clearly our developer community has been busy too! Way to go BlackBerry Devs! Please leave us comments with your success stories – we love to hear them.